Forest School for Ages 4 – 7
Forest School is a complete learning experience that takes your child’s individual developmental needs into account. The program is a Montessori-based, play-centered learning environment, focused on self-control, love of learning, connection to family, and beginning friendships. Forest School will feature both inside and outside learning experiences, utilizing principles of child-centered learning.
In Quarter 2 of 2017-2018 (October 30, 2017 – January 12, 2018), Forest School is open Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, 10AM – 1PM for our morning session, and 12PM to 3PM for our afternoon session.
Each session will have a daily rhythm from the selections below:
- Welcome and art invitation
- Circle time: calendar, show and share, theme story time, movement and music
- Free choice centers: books, art, writing, housekeeping, blocks, science, math manipulatives
- Outside exploration and nature discovery
- Theme activity: science, social studies, art
- Centers and Project Work (students will do one-on-one work as needed here)
- Outside work: gardening, tending to animals, maintaining their play space, decorating/sprucing
- Circle time and tidy, final reading, write our daily news
Your child will be engaged and learning while playing. If you have an older child and are concerned about academics, we can assure you that your 6 or 7 year old is in the right place here! Curriculum may be matched to at-home work as desired by the parent, and activities are matched to your child’s developmental level.
Meet Our Chatham Discovery Teacher
Pam Fleischauer, Chatham (The Forest School, Discovery – Wondertime)
Pam has worked in a multi-aged Montessori classroom for the past five years after five years at home with her son. She holds a Masters Degree in Public Health and a teaching certification from The University of North Carolina- Chapel Hill as well as her primary Montessori certification from The College of New Rochelle in New York. Pam believes in the importance of a prepared environment, “following the child,” and peace education. She is eager to develop The Forest School at the Chatham campus, which will engage discovery-age students’ sense of wonder and stewardship through semi-structured/unstructured days on the 150 acre farm and garden “playground.” Originally from Michigan, Pam moved down to North Carolina in 1998. Her interests outside of teaching include kayaking, ukulele, birds and all things ART. Pam lives in the woods just outside of Pittsboro with her husband and son.
To Enroll in Forest School Chatham
You must first become a member of Dimensions Family School at either the program or full membership level. Membership information is found here. Once you become a member, contact email@example.com to select the schedule that works best for your child.
Chatham Pricing and Schedule
Forest School has morning and afternoon sessions available for participation. Each session is priced separately.
- Morning Session: 10:00 am to 1:00 pm
- Afternoon Session: 12:00pm to 3:00 pm
Overlapping lunch with friends from 12-1 each day.
A one time materials fee for the year (based upon number of sessions) is charged at the time of enrollment. This payment reserves your child’s place in the program.
- 2 sessions per week: $90 per month + membership
- 3 sessions per week: $125 per month + membership
- 5 sessions per week: $200 per month + membership
Full Day Forest School Experience